Spouse/partner support

As an international organisation, CERN recruits internationally and is committed to providing support for all family members accompanying its employed members of the personnel as they integrate into the local region. To this end, the Organization offers spouses/partners several services to facilitate their transition to their new environment, both socially and professionally.

The services below indicated with a * are also available to associate members of the personnel.

1Spouse Welcome 
The aim of Spouse Welcome is to facilitate integration by meeting other newcomers and to provide the opportunity to interact with some internal services of CERN and three external local networks. The topics discussed are: accommodation, childcare, education, CERN Health Insurance Scheme, finding work, language courses. Find more information on the integration of families and the next date in this brochure.

Obtaining a CERN access card*
Spouses may obtain a CERN access card from the Registration Service, to enable them use the facilities on-site, e.g. the cafeteria. For the procedure see here.

Obtaining a “permis Ci” work permit* (available to associate members of the personnel under certain conditions)
Spouses of CERN members of personnel residing in Switzerland, can obtain a Swiss working permit through CERN for the duration of the employment contract with CERN. Find the procedure here (See: 3. Application for a "permis Ci" certificate).

Language courses*
French and English classes at CERN are open to spouses to participate (subject to a charge). Find details in the CERN training catalogue. See: CERN training catalogue.

Monthly workshops run by the University of Geneva Welcome Center*
Spouses have access to the monthly workshops on professional transition to Switzerland organised by the Welcome Center of the University of Geneva and Carriere2 (subject to a charge). Find the programme here.

International Dual Career Network (IDCN)
Spouses have access to IDCN, Lake Geneva region, a network aimed at facilitating their job search. Events are organized throughout the year to give members an opportunity to collect information on the regional job market, receive advice from Human Resources professionals, meet with recruiters of the IDCN corporate members and network with other recently relocated spouses. For more information, see here. To sign your spouse/partner up, please contact hr-diversity at cern.ch.

Social Affairs Service*
The on-site Social Affairs Service team offers information on integration and stay in the area. Check their website.

CERN Activity and Sports Clubs*
CERN clubs offer a range of sports, leisure and cultural activities that are open to CERN personnel and their families. A list can be found at www.cern.ch/clubs.

Employment @ CERN*
CERN has no restriction with regards to dual employment or association. Spouses may apply to any of the programs available on CERN/Jobs.


1 In the text, the term “spouse” includes registered partner. 


Other useful links: